According to research conducted by Black Muslim Forum between June and December 2019, 84% of Black British Muslims respondents felt that overall they did not belong to their university’s Islamic society.
This statistic is alarming and requires immediate attention and intervention.
They propose 5 distinct solutions:
1) Running mandatory anti-racism trainings
2) Establish a welfare position within the Isoc leadership
3) Appoint Black Muslim representatives within the Isoc leadership.
4) Have a Zero-tolerance policy to anti-black racism.
5) Celebrate Black History Month in October but also throughout the year.
We would highly encourage all ISOC executives to read this article and consider the implications that a lack of diversity within ISOC committees will have on the university experience of black Muslim students.
“There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab. Neither is the white superior over the black, nor is the black superior over the white — except by piety.”The final sermon of the Prophet Muhammad SAW